Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is coming home to Disney+ on November 12, 2021. That’s right, True Believers. The film’s streaming release coincides with Disney+ Day, a consumer holiday that celebrates Disney content in the comfort of your own home.
“We’ll be surprising people with offers and it will be an annual thing,” said Disney CEO Bob Chapek today during a Goldman Sachs 30th Annual Communacopia Conference, “We’re going to have new content release against one of our four key franchises.”
While addressing the crowd, Chapek said, “We love theatrical exhibition,” which is interesting, considering that Disney has been experimenting with several of its marquee releases during the pandemic. By this, I mean that Disney adopted a day-and-date theatrical-PVOD plan during the worldwide crisis. “What we’ve locked in is flexibility, being a consumer-first organization,” says Chapek.
“Some of our movies will have short windows,” Chapek said about the Thanksgiving release for Encanto. As per Disney’s plan, Encanto will make its Disney+ debut 30 days after its theatrical release. At the very least, Encanto will hit the streaming service in time for Christmas, which is bound to give the animated film a boost during the holiday break.
Check out the list below for everything coming to Disney+ as a part of Disney+ Day:
- Jungle Cruise will begin streaming for free on Disney+ for subscribers of the service.
- Disney’s Home Sweet Home Alone, a reimagining of Chris Columbus’ Home Alone, will have its Disney+ debut.
- An all-new original series of shorts from Walt Disney Animation titled Olaf Presents will debut. The series features Frozen‘s popular snowman retelling several classic Disney tales with a magical twist.
- Domestic Disney+ streaming debut of fan favorite shorts from Walt Disney Animation Studios including Frozen Fever, Oscar-winning shorts Feast and Paperman, Oscar-nominated Mickey Mouse short, Get A Horse! and more. There’s also the animated short film Ciao Alberto from Pixar which features characters from their feature pic Luca.
- A new short from The Simpsons that pays homage to Disney+ brands will debut.
- Five episodes from the second season of The World According to Jeff Goldblum will go live.
- A special highlighting the origins of Star Wars’ Boba Fett will make its way to the platform.
- A special focusing on the Marvel Cinematic Universe, with new information about the future of the MCU, will debut.
- Dopesick, an original series starring Michael Keaton, which will be released in international markets as part of the Star general entertainment content offering
“The inaugural Disney+ Day will be a grand-scale celebration of our subscribers across the entire company,” said Chapek in a statement. “This day of appreciation brings to life our mission to entertain, inform, and inspire fans and families around the globe through the power of unparalleled storytelling, and will become an annual tentpole event to be amplified across our global businesses.”
Well, that’s my Friday night plans sorted for November 12th! What Disney+ Day content are you looking forward to the most? Let us know in the comments section below.